Happy New Year to everyone!
In case you missed it, the annual Playhouse Gala was held at the Western Heritage Museum on Saturday, February 4. We celebrated the 2016 season and outstanding participants, announced the 2017 season and shared some tasty hors d'oeuvres.
If you weren't able to attend, here are a few of the highlights:
~ The 2017 season is as follows:
- “The Glass Menagerie” directed by Nathan Miles (AACTFest 2017 Entry) - February 16-19
- “Once On This Island” directed by Christopher Eubank - June 1-4, 8-11
- Youth Performing Arts Workshop “Mulan, Jr.” directed by Sandra Kelly Goad and Ronnie RJ Gray - July 20-23
- “The 39 Steps” directed by Tyler Bunch - September 8-10, 14-16
- Haunted House directed by Nathan Gibbs - October 20-21, 27-28, 31
- “’Heaven Cent” directed by Robert Schumacher - December 14-17
~ The risers have been repainted and numbered for seating.
~ More progress has been made on the new addition, including painting, light fixtures, doors and air conditioning.
~ The building committee is working on a list of improvement priorities for the property, including the parking lot, the roof, bathrooms and accessibility.
~ "Travelin' Man" Bob Goad won the United Airlines travel voucher graciously donated by FlyHobbs.
2016 AWARD WINNERS:
- Nana's Naughty Knickers - Arthur Dayley, Nicholas Pankratz
- On Golden Pond - Bob Goad, David Neumann
- Seussical - Leigh Melton, Carey Cleer-Lindner
- Alice in Wonderland - Arthur Dayley, Eric Taylor
- Avarice in Ambrosia - Nathan Gibbs, Stephanie McCurder
- Haunted House - Artie & Dallas Jenkins, Arthur Dayley, Christie Harkness
- 'Twas the Fight Before Christmas - Christie Harkness, Don Bushway
~Carl Busch Scholarship recipients: Unique Stock, Lucero Acosta, Nathan Miles, Lara Harkness.
~Outstanding Newcomers: Hooks Family (LaToya Hooks), Ashley Jenkins
~Outstanding Corporations: Lea County State Bank, Pacific Rim
~Lifetime Achievement: Mary Lyle
~Tom Mason Award: Nathan Gibbs
I would like to thank Leigh Melton, Sandra Kelly Goad, Dusty Armstrong, Sarah Bunch, Carey Cleer-Lindner and Claude Jaco for serving on the gala decorating committee and Christie Harkness, Daniel Russell, Reed Armstrong and Robert Schumacher for helping set up.
Special thanks are in order for Erin Anderson, who went out of her way to help troubleshoot and problem-solve all evening, not to mention taking tons of photos! We couldn't have done it without your expertise!
Now that the gala is over, it's an official wrap on 2016, but we have an amazing 2017 season to come! See you all at the Playhouse!
Monica Armijo Russell